Ongoing sporadic journal of the overeducated, and underemployed. The title derived from Coupland’s description of cubicle land; the corporate ghetto. Random photos and thoughts. Left the ghetto, never happier. This still a work in progress

06 October 2024

 Coffee date


“Of course, I care, but are we a thing?” I recall one date.

“We are intimate” she answers in a low tone as if through clenched teeth.

” I just didn’t realize you thought of me that way, I am chuffed” I answer.

“I mean calls, that are long conversations of as you say, cabbages, and Kings. The other things weree nice too.” Tyler Now smiling coquettishly.

I take the coffee and a cup of drip with an espresso shot. From her hands. I turn towards the table where Jana waits.

Over my shoulder, I say, “Smoke break gorilla glue.” My phone vibes. And I don’t have to look at it yes.

“After a short conversation, Jan is off to her next stop. She shows me her calendar. I went over my allotted unit. I walk her to her car. We make plans for a trip to the museum, but that will not happen. That will never happen, no heat, no flames.  I cross back to the coffee shop.  

Tyler greets me” If you were fucking with me about the about the gorilla glue!

“Never my love” I answer stepping into a warm Hug. 

“You smell amazing “I whisper nibbling her ear lobe.

“Right coffee and sweat, does she smell of dryer sheets & Clinique?” Tyler said cologne? Tyler said.  “She looks like Bridge and Tunnel squeezing in a quickie, with punk Bukowski between breakfast and yoga, then back to Mr sensible.”

“I am not aware of her schedule I answer still laughing. “Anyway, just a coffee date, it won’t repeat, No chemistry, no point.

“You know that in 10 minutes? 

“Aye, I knew the minute our eyes met.

I knew when she ordered no make-up, checking her phone constantly. On Saturday morning. I am guessing you were worked in, and Dude you’re all or nothing. Remember our first date? Tyler says smiling. ‘Followed by our first breakfast.”  One minute we’re hanging out at an art show, next playing. Getting to know you.


“I remember Your flatmate asking if I was your uncle?” I answer laughing.

“She was mensing then, we went swimming., and you answered she must have a very close family,” Tyler said laughing.

“Would you fancy, a coffee date? “I ask.

“Poolside, my place? Tyler answers.v

“Sounds brilliant” answer 
















No comments: